Friday, July 6, 2012

Vacation: All I ever wanted

An Agnes Pelton, Transcedental painter of the 1930s

Since I have only a handful of readers, which is fine with me--I actually enjoy living under a rock-- I feel perfectly safe in expressing semi-publicly that as of this afternoon, my vacation begins. I have a lot to do before I leave--pick up canvases, pack, clean up my apartment, but I am so excited. Tonight I am beginning my week of fun with an outing with friends to Layali Dubai and I can't wait to have mezze and dance the night away with friends. I plan to stay out most of the night and splurge on a cab home from Astoria.
The opulent Layali Dubai!

If I can carry it, I'm thinking of bringing my cane to the beach. Here are my cane and the cane I bought for one of my good friends and a wonderful cane dancer, ViviMar, en route to our dance class this past spring. People always give you a seat on the bus when you travel with a cane; occasionally I accept. One funny story is that I overheard a student saying I was "buggin'--bedazzlin' ma cane," as I carried it onto campus. Despite the questions I may be asked or the strange looks I may receive, the outdoors is a great rehearsal space, even if the small quarters of a New York are more realistic considering our mostly small venues.


Saidi is appropriate for a shore vacation. It is the sound of sun and sand. Below is a cane/ saidi video that I watch a lot. I love Orit's glow and earthy energy.

In Virginia, I always make paintings, too. I am excited about the free schedule I will have next week. And the time with my family. Last year, when I had my paint box out, my niece, then two, kept exclaiming, "I LIKE IT! I LIKE IT, AUNT JEAN!" So perhaps and hopefully, nothing will have changed and I'll have an adoring audience for my painting. That would be sweet and fun, but really I paint to find a connection between human interior worlds and nature. It's not just a response to the beauty the environment offers, which it is, but the space within me that responds to the outer world. I really love the works of Agnes Pelton, and aspire to that kind of clear expression.














This song makes me extra happy and ready to party and swim:

No comments:

Post a Comment